- Category: Students
In the University environment such as ours, students benefit from a variety of programmes and services that go a long way to augment what goes on in the classroom and in producing a ‘wholly educated individuals’. An aspect of these student personnel services at the University is Guidance and Counselling.
Again, the entire University staff have personal, family and occupational problems and challenges that, if not well managed, can affect productive work and performance in general. Thus, the Guidance and Counselling Unit of the University of Mines and Technology (UMaT) was established in the year 2012 with the aim of assisting students and staff to address personal or emotional challenges that may affect them.
Theophilus Andoh-Robertson (Head)
The inclusion of the Guidance and Counselling Unit into the structure of the University was necessitated by the following:
- The University admits students of different backgrounds. Guidance and Counselling is therefore needed to help such individuals, many of whom would find the environment an entirely new place to adjust to.
- The world has become complex so are the problems that face students. The expertise of the Guidance and Counselling practitioner is needed in the University to assist students solve their learning and other problems.
- At a point in the life of the student he/she has to make vocational, educational or other personal decisions. Through the various services of the Guidance and Counselling Unit, the needed information is obtained to guide such important decision-making.
- Guidance and Counselling in the University will go a long way to effect the necessary attitudinal change among students.
Members of the University community could obtain services from the Unit to help them cope with work/home stress related difficulties in order to maximise productivity and work performance.
Guidance and Counselling Services at UMaT
The Guidance and Counselling Unit offers advice and guidance to students and staff in the university. The priority of the Unit is to help keep members of the University community safe and well through a variety of services as outlined below:
1. Individual Counselling
2. Career Guidance and Counselling
3. Academic Support Services
4. Relationship Management
5. Group Counselling
6. Organisation of Seminars and Workshops for students and staff
7. Information services (Educational, Occupational, and Personal-social information)
8. Organisation of Career Conferences for students and staff
9. Work /Home Stress Management
10. Family Counselling and Support Services
11. Emerging Issues (local and global) and their Impact on Work Environment
Guidance and Counselling helps to explore and manage whatever is happening in one’s life. The services available at the Unit, therefore, are aimed at helping students and staff cope through difficult situations and provide them with an opportunity to move towards a more satisfying and resourceful experience in life.