The Department of Management Studies was set up according to the University of Mines and Technology, Tarkwa Act, 2004 (Act 677), section 4 (2). The University Council at its 55th (Regular) meeting held on Friday 11th December, 2015 considered the recommendations brought to it by the Academic Board, in accordance with Statute 21 as follows;
- That the new Faculty, the Faculty of Integrated Management Science be established.
- that the following two departments be established under the new Faculty:
- the Department of Management Studies
- the Department of Technical Communication
- That the Department of Management Studies run two (2) postgraduate management courses; Master of Business and Technology Management; and MSc Engineering Management.
Accordingly, the Department of Management Studies was established during the 2017/2018 Academic Year to train and equip business leaders/managers and engineers with the requisite knowledge, technologies and decision-making skills necessary to be effective, prosperous and competitive in their industries to address business and technology challenges as well as to lead the 21st century workforce.